Job board of the American Society for Clinical Investigation
Touro College: Associate Dean of Research
Requisition ID: 2022-8173
Position Type: Full-Time
Schedule Shift: Day
Hours Per Week: 38
We are seeking a leader in research who can also manage and enhance current research efforts, create a faculty mentorship program, facilitate grant writing, increase research awareness and collaborations across campus, and develop a robust student research program for the COM. Applicants must have a terminal degree (Ph.D., D.O., M.D., or dual degree). A significant track record in translational research is strongly preferred. Fields of interest include exercise physiology, metabolism, aging, behavioral/lifestyle (obesity/diabetes), precision health or other related disciplines. A scholar with an interest in furthering osteopathic research would also be desirable. The successful candidate will be responsible for not just research administration, but also research development and external relations, thereby creating an environment in which excellence in research enhances the mission of the COM, and the University. The Associate Dean will be a full-time faculty member with a funded appointment within the Department of Basic Science, reporting directly to the Dean of the COM, and will be a member of the senior leadership team of the COM.
- Represents COM research to TU Administration, national and international organizations granting agencies, and the community
- Chairs COM Research Committee and acts as the COM representative for planning and administering campus research-related events such as the TUC Research Day
- Upon consultation with department chairs, proposes, manages, and disburses the COM research budget
- Leads the oversight and updating of our Strategic Plan for COM Research
- Rationalizes cost/benefits of monetary investments in faculty research by evaluating faculty productivity (articles, grants submitted, grants obtained) and reports that to the Dean of COM
- Provides input into university recruitment of additional research faculty and staff
- Fosters collaborative clinical and community research initiatives with the College of Pharmacy and the College of Education and Health Sciences in Solano County and the greater Bay Area
- Fosters the critical mass of research on diabetes/metabolism, osteopathic medicine, and other areas
- Further develops ongoing research relationships with other Touro University System campuses and with local, national and international academic institutions and industry
- Promotes COM research accomplishments both internally and externally, e.g., through website, newsletters, press releases, annual research day etc.
- Mentors faculty and other researchers on research design, methods, and grant writing
- Oversees the review of COM or collaborative extramural research proposals prior to submission
- Runs a prioritized TUCOM intramural grants program, preferably funded with indirect costs and/or donations
- Maintains a database of TUCOM research accomplishments, including information on the status of faculty publications and grant submissions and compiles annual report of activities
- Helps to lead & grow our student research program (developing a database of available research projects and facilitates connecting students with appropriate research mentors)
- Collaborates with department chairs to assign and reassign research spaces, in accordance with the Dean and Senior Provost, to faculty relative to productivity and needs of the College
- Collaborates with the administration in the research logistics for the establishment of postgraduate programs (e.g. post-baccalaureate program, Master’s or PhD)
- Provides support for the ongoing research efforts in the MSMHS program to maintain a vigorous research effort.
- Institutionalizes research student exchanges with foreign universities (externally funded)
- Serves as the liaison between NIH/NSF and other organizations and COM faculty
- Ensures that research is conducted ethically and toward the general mission of TUCOM
- Ensures individual and college compliance with research-related safety and regulatory requirements. Thus serves as the TUCOM liaison for IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) and also the Office of Research Integrity and is responsible for annual reports indicating whether there have been allegations of scientific misconduct.
- Administrative Assistant
- Lab technicians and lab managers assigning their tasks and time commitment in a way that maximizes the research productivity of the COM
- Other Researchers/directors as indicated
- Other supervisory responsibilities as directed by Dean
The candidate should have a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences, D.O., or M.D. with post-doctoral training, with a strong record of publications and funding history, a productive laboratory or equivalent, a national and possibly an international reputation in his/her field. The candidate should have at least 10 years’ experience in academic medicine, experience in developing, implementing and coordinating an academic research program and previous experience as research director or similar leadership position.
CORE COMPETENCIES: identify the behavior an employee is expected to demonstrate.
- Previous research experience
- Adaptability to changes and challenging environments
- Organizational skills
- Grant writing experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate will be hired as soon as possible. Interested candidates should submit a copy of their curriculum vitae, statements of teaching and research philosophy, research interests, and contact information for three references.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2944905
Touro College is an equal opportunity employer. Touro College treats all employees, job applicants, and students without unlawful consideration of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition), age, disability, medical condition, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military service or veteran status, citizenship status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We are committed to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy in all decisions, including but not limited to, recruitment, the administration of educational programs and activities, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, placement, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff, suspension, expulsion and termination, and all other terms and conditions of admission, matriculation, and employment.
Copyright © 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.