The ASCI is pleased to call for nominations for the 2023 Seldin~Smith Award for Pioneering Research. The annual award, accompanied by an unrestricted $30,000 grant to advance academic efforts, honors an early-career physician-scientist who has demonstrated exceptional creativity and accomplishments in biomedical research (see past recipients).
The deadline for receipt of nominations is December 5, 2022, at 11:59 pm Eastern (extended from November 21).
- Must be an MD (or the equivalent);
- Must be more than 2 years but not more than 6 years from first faculty (or the equivalent) appointment as of April 2023;
- Spends substantial time in research while providing direct patient care.
A nomination must be started by the nominator, who then notifies the nominee to complete her/his part of the nomination. The nominee identifies the supporter of the nomination and notifies that person through the submission site to complete her/his support form.
Nominations will be screened to ensure they are complete and fit the nomination criteria. The Seldin~Smith Award Selection Committee reviews nominations and provides recommendations to the Seldin~Smith Award Advisory Committee to determine the recipient.
The nominator must be an ASCI member in good standing and must start the nomination:
- Access your member account
- Go to the “Nominations” tab, then to the “ASCI / Seldin~Smith Award for Pioneering Research” section
- Select “I’m the nominator” option
- Search for your nominee:
- If found, click on “Create nomination”
- If no result is found, provide and save the requested information (first name, last name, and email address), then click on “Create nomination” for the newly created nominee in the “Results” section
- At the top of the nomination form, click on “Send access notification to the nominee at: <email>”
- Provide a 500-word limit statement on the nominee’s most significant achievement
- Submit the statement, which can be done regardless of whether the nominee’s part of the nomination is completed
The nominee receives an email with information to access her/his part of the nomination and then must:
- Provide a birth date and address information
- Provide a summary (100-word limit) of her/his research, followed by a notation of the percentage of time devoted to direct patient care
- Provide detail of:
- Degrees obtained
- Year of first faculty or equivalent appointment
- Current institutional affiliation
- Current NIH-style biosketch
- Three significant publications, each with an annotation (100-word limit)
- Identify the nomination’s supporter and sends notification to the supporter to access her/his support form
- Complete a demographic profile
- Submit this aspect of the nomination, which can be done regardless of whether the nominator or supporter has completed her/his statement
- Does not need to be an ASCI member
- Must be identified and notified by the nominee
- Provides a statement (500-word limit) of the nominee’s research contributions (the statement should be distinct from that of the nominator)